Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hip-hop

Hip-hop, it rocks. It's not just the basic idea that I love. It's the entire foundation.

Creating music? DJ'ing.
Creating lyrics? MC'ing.
Creating dance? BBoying
Create art? Graffiti

Now, graffiti isn't as interesting to me, but I respect the art and style of it. The music is just contagiously good when created by the right mind.

Here's what I don't get. I notice there's a huge contigent of hip-hop artists who are labeled by the industry and consumer public as "alternative" hip-hop: Jurassic 5, Del the Funky Homosapien, Kool Keith, and hundred of others.

Why are they called "alternative"? Some of these artists are doing some new, innovative music, while others are just showcasing hip-hop at its roots which is fantastic.

Commercially marketed hip-hop has strayed so far from its roots. We have MCs who, if you notice, don't even call themselves MCs. Many popular hip-hop artists aren't even rhyming. They are yelling or singing. It's close to a rhythm and blues derivative than anything else.

Hiphop is about culture, but more specifically the art that springs from that culture. If the foundation of that art is considered alternative, than I guess I'm a fan of the outcast.

No comments: