Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Domain name

So I'm looking to acquire a domain name and then get a web hosting provider in order to give the personal web site thing a try again. The goal is to use the site to host some basic info about myself, possibly this blog, my resume, along with some pet project.

Here are some things I would like to do:
1. Create a content aggregator page. This page would include content from sites, formatted as I choose. It would allow me to aggregate the majority content that I read into a single page.

2. Create the web site using newer technologies I haven't had a chance to play with as much.

3. Host some streaming audio and videos as I see fit.

I know I can get a lot of this for free or even use iGoogle for a hunk of the content. However, that's not the point. The point is to gain knowledge by doing it myself and also to have greater ownership over the project.

The first problem is finding a domain name. I've had several domain names in the past that have expired due to me not caring anymore. I may feel the same way again, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Both of those domains are now off the market due to domain squatters. Bastards. This leaves me with the opportunity to choose a new name that is available in the .com, .org, or .net top-level domains (tld). I'm not willing to take a good name even though it might be available in Malaysia or have a .tv suffix. I need a good name that fits the standard tlds.

The list of available names has disappeared slowly over time due to legitimate ownership and also squatters (bastards). I need a name that I think is cool, but also that is available.

This is proving difficult.

2 comments:

jt said...

Just because I live to make your life easier... here are some trés cool and stylish domain names that -- as mind-boggling as it may seem! -- haven't already been taken.

iamabeastlybeast.com
bardholtbakkiloveyou.org
3billygoatsgruff.net
snodgrassandsnodgrassllp.com
georgeabrahamthampyfanclub.org
beastcrow.net
seppykskickinstirfry.com

Does this help? Of course it does.

Eagerly awaiting his beast@3billygoatsgruff.net address,

-Stephan H.R. Stoop

seppyk said...

Let me revise. I am looking for a .net, .org, or .com domain name that I could actually use to send professional correspondence on at some point in the future.

I would prefer not to send in a future job resume with the e-mail (seppyk@3billygoatsgruff.net).