Friday, October 3, 2008

Brand loyalty

I'm not the most fashionable person in the world. My wardrobe ranges from borderline metrosexual attire to trailer trash t-shirts and jogging shorts. In general, I purchase new clothes for the following reasons:

1. I receive a suggestion from someone else (usually a companion who shows pity for my lack of shopping knowledge and skill).
2. I purchase an article of clothing by means of chance. This doesn't mean that I flip a coin (although I'm willing to try that some day in the future), but rather I find a shirt, pants, or a pair of shoes and buy them on a whim, not necessarily looking for the articles in the first place.
3. Comfort.
4. My old clothes are too small or too big causing me to buy new ones in order to not look ridiculous (big clothes) or naked (small clothes) in public. I'm come to terms with my narcissism.

I usually don't care what brand name is on the clothes unlike other consumer outlets. For example, I tend to have brand loyalty to certain foods or brands at the grocery store because I like the taste of their food. I also may have brand loyalty to certain electronics companies over others because I know they are, at the minimum, an established company that will distribute a television or stereo that won't break instantly.

None of these examples are guarantees. If I taste something good from a different company's food product, I'm a convert. If I read enough positive user reviews about an electronics product, I'm more likely to take the risk and make a purchase.

With clothing, it similar. Certain brands have a reputation for higher quality craftsmanship or high public reputation. In general, I don't care as much about this other than offering my taste on a look -- do I like the style (god help me for saying it, but the silhouette), do I like the color, is the texture comfortable on my skin, does it meet my fashion needs (work vs. casual vs. special occasion), is there ugly seam-work, does it match?

In general, these are the criteria I go by rather than the name on the tag. However, there is one main exception...

BEHOLD MORTALS...

The Adidas Shelltop. Comfort. Retro freshness. Other shoemakers try to copy the simplicity and style, but they fail miserably.

2 comments:

jt said...

Interesting. Indeed, I remember that you were a fan of the Adidas Shelltop since back in our high school days (or earlier?)

For the most part, I share your views...with a few notable exceptions.

Deli meats: BOAR'S HEAD®
Borax: 20 MULE TEAM®
Insoluble dry plates: FORBES'®
Soda: DR. PEPPER ("THE KING OF BEVERAGES")®
Imitation Dr. Pepper: DR. SCHNEE®
(Actually, the last two are lies, since I don't drink soda. But IF I DID, it would definitely be Dr. Pepper or Dr. Schnee.)
Rakshasa accessories: SHAS L. SHAS RAKSHASA ENTERPRISES, INC.®

That is all.

seppyk said...

I believe the proper response to your comment is to use Dr. Schnee's famous brand motto:


I paraphrase...

"Drink Dr. Schnee or I'll break your kneecaps."