Monday, February 23, 2009

Hunger

I have had one cigarette in my life and nearly coughed up a lung in response to the experience. As such, I can't relate to the feeling some of my smoker friends have described in terms of craving or hungering for another nicotine fix.

Sometimes I wonder if it is the feeling I get when I feel hungry. Am I truly hungry, or is it just weakness in my mind? I find it occurs more frequently when I am bored or my mind isn't occupied which makes sense. The problem is differentiating between actual hunger and the underlying habits buried in my brain.

1 comment:

jt said...

As usual, the beast speaks true.

I've found that when I'm (1) getting regular exercise and (2) as you say, focusing clearly on the things I should be doing rather than avoiding them, I get these cravings (especially for junk food) less and less.

It's as if my mind and body, when focused on being productive, realize that such things will only hinder me from reaching my goals. Whereas when I'm running away from things, it becomes almost a reflex to look for (additional) distractions.