Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Revelation 1

I was reading some old favorites posts on MetaFilter. One post asked the question as to what events helped shape your life. I thought I would share in turn.

I met the first girl I had ever truly fell in love with at a party filled with friends, acquaintances, and friends of friends. She was pretty and had a corny girlish charm to her which interested me. At the end of the long night, everyone had either left and those who had not were passed out from excessive alcohol. She was half-asleep, crashing on the living room couch and I remember laying a blanket on her before I took off.

Once we became a couple, she later told me that she laid down on the couch, not because she was tired, but because she wanted me to sit/lay down next to her. She told me that she was annoyed that I didn't make a move that night and that she immediately threw the blanket off her after I exited the apartment because it was excessively hot in the apartment. I laughed, thinking back to the acting she did, pretending to be somewhat asleep.

I had always thought I could read people easily before that point and it changed my perspective on how little I actually know about how other people are feeling and how to relate to them more closely.

2 comments:

jt said...

I find this rather interesting. Both the question itself and your answer to it, that is.

I'm not sure how I would answer this question. Sadly, the events that shaped my life the most probably shaped it in a negative way. Even worse, I am probably trying to forget these events on some subconscious level rather than confronting them as I should be.

The older I get, the more I'm convinced I need to go out searching for these life-changing events rather than waiting for them to come to me. Maybe that goes without saying?

seppyk said...

I chose to share something of neutral/positive value. I may share something of negative value in the future, but just because I chose not to share in something that affected me in a negative sense does not mean that my life has not been shaped in a negative way in certain respects.