Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pops

So I attended the Cambridge Symphony Orchestra's annual pops concert this past weekend. It originally was supposed to be held outside at Sennott Park near Central Square, but being that it was overcast the entire month of June, the organizers decided to move it indoors to a nearby youth center.

It was a good time. They ended up playing medleys from Broadway musicals like West Side Story and Chicago. I haven't seen West Side Story since I was in middle school and I've never seen Chicago, but it still was enjoyable. They also played a medley of Star Trek music which brought a little inner geek enjoyment out of me. They closed it out by having a symphonic narrative in respect to the African-American poet Phyllis Wheatley. It was good in an avant-garde way. I have to find more events like this since it was a nice change of pace.

No comments: